Tsavo West National Park
- Size: 9,065 sq Kms
- Gazetted as a National park: 1948
- Province: Coast, Taita Taveta
- Geographical Location: South West Kenya, Inland from the coast
- Altitude: 150 - 1,800meters above sea level
- Distance from Nairobi: 232 Kms (Mtito Andei Gate)
- Distance from Mombasa: 250 Kms (Mtito Andei Gate)
The park is located on south eastern Kenya, 240km from Nairobi along the western side of Mombasa-Nairobi highway. The savannah ecosystem comprises of open grasslands, scrublands, and Acacia woodlands, belts of riverine vegetation and rocky ridges.
Major wildlife attractions include elephant, rhino, Hippos, lions, cheetah, leopards, Buffalos, diverse plant and bird species including the threatened corncrake and near threatened Basra Reed Warbler.
Temperature ranges from 20-30 c and rainfall from 200mm – 700 mm. Two rain seasons: Long rains – March & April & short rains – Nov/ December
Leopard, Cheetah, Wild dogs, Buffalo, Rhino, Elephant, Giraffe, Zebra, Lion, Crocodile, Mongoose, Hyrax, Dik- dik, Lesser Kudu, and Nocturnal Porcupine. Prolific birdlife features 600 species.
Where to Stay/Accommodations
Lodges inside the park are Ngulia Safari Lodge, Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge, Kitani Severin Safari Camp/ Lodge, Finch Hatton’s Tented Lodge, Voyager Safari Camp