Tsavo East National Park
- Size: 12,000 sq Kms
- Gazetted as a National park: 1948
- Province: Eastern
- Geographical Location: South West Kenya, Inland from the coast
- Altitude: 150 - 1,800meters above sea level
- Distance from Nairobi: 232 Kms (Mtito Andei Gate)
- Distance from Mombasa: 250 Kms (Mtito Andei Gate)
Though the vegetation can generally be categorized as bushed grassland, the park has open plains alternating with savanna bush and semi-arid acacia scrub and woodlands. There are also belts of riverine vegetation.
Large herds of elephants and other wildlife. • Popular legend of Tsavo "The man-eaters of Tsavo". • Yatta plateau - it is about 290 Km long and is one of the world’s longest lava flows.
How to get there
From Nairobi via Voi through the Voi gate or Manyani gate. Similarly, from Mombasa via Bachuma gate. From Malindi, via Sala gate.
Airstrips: There are six airstrips in the southern part of the park and thirteen in the Northern part. There are no scheduled flights to the park but chartered light planes can be used
Where to Stay/Accommodations
Voi Safari Lodge, Voi Wildlife Lodge, Aruba Ashnil Lodge, Ndololo Tented Camp, Kingfisher Tented Camp, Satao Camp.